Monday, April 19, 2010

HELP ME!!!!!

Okay - I am in serious need of some mommy help! In general, Denver has been an awesome, sound sleeper. However...this last week consistently he has been waking up crying during the night. At first I thought it was just a fluke thing so I'd either go in there and lay him back down or hold him for a bit then lay him down. Then it turned into several nights in a row and we thought maybe he was getting a tooth so I'd either go in there and rub his back, etc. or if he woke up several times consecutively I'd give him some Tylenol. Okay....well it has been progressing over about a week and a half now to where it has turned into our night last night:

1) at 12:30 i heard him wake up abruptly and start screaming. I let him cry for a bit then went in and laid him back down and gave him tylenol.

2) 1:15 screaming again. This time I was just going to let him cry it out. This went on for half an hour. (he never does this) In to his room again - he is standing up at his crib waiting for me. As soon as I come in - no more crying, lays right back down.

3) repeat #2 at 2, 3, etc. etc. YOU GET THE PICTURE!!!!!

Okay, honestly I have no problem letting him cry it out. But I'm wondering if there is a deeper issue here!

Does he just want me? Is he having scary dreams? Can 20 month olds even dream?! Is he scared of something else? Do I need to go in there to comfort him or just let him cry and finally lay back down and go to sleep on his own.

I am at a loss! He's never done anything like this before and I figured after a few nights (esp if it was a tooth) it would get better but it is getting worse!!!!

Please please any advice would be wonderful. Has anyone else had this happen? I can't sanely go on getting up this many times during the night and want him to sleep soundly again!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Just emailed you, too... Luke's cousin went thru this with her son about the same age. They put another nightlight in the room to make it brighter and it solved the issue. He had become afraid of the dark! Maybe try something like that?!?! Good luck! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Night light...good idea! My thoughts have always been that babies/toddlers cry for reason so something must be wrong.

    Night terrors is a good possibility! If you do not want to take him out of his crib, I have heard of several parents kneeling next to the crib and patting the mattress instead of standing next to the crib which makes the baby hold their hands up to you.

    Poor Denver (and Mommy)! I hope that things are getting better!

    ReplyDelete