Tuesday, July 21, 2009

ONE!




One year ago today, we welcomed Denver Steven into our family and lives. He weighed in at 5 lb. 4 oz. and measured 18 1/2" long. He was a month early, so tiny, fragile, and fully dependent on us. It brings tears to my eyes as I write this and look back at pictures of when he was first born. I almost feel like I didn't know what it was like to love before I met Denver. Of course I have loved many people in my life, and the feeling of love I have for Steven is amazing, but to love someone who NEEDS you, who can't physically survive without you is incredible. Someone who God has entrusted to you. My theme verse for this first year of Denver's life was: "Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you. Guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us." -2 Timothy 1:14. I know the meaning of this verse may not exactly be your child, but to me, Denver is the good deposit which God has entrusted to me. It is my God-given role as his mother to guard him, and with the help of the Holy Spirit train him up to become a man who loves and serves his Creator. Wow....what a mission. A woman's legacy truly is her children and I pray daily that I can be a mother whose children love and serve Christ before all else. 

I've never got a glimpse of God like I have watching Denver grow. Children are just a little picture of our amazing God and Creator. They are a MIRACLE!!! Nothing less! How they are formed from a little part of their mommy and daddy, grow inside of you, develop, how they ARE life from the first moment, then come into this world and watching Denver develop physically, mentally, and emotionally over the last 12 months has been remarkable. God is amazing. AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!!! I just can't even express it! 

Now...on a lighter note, I'd like to document the top 10 things I have learned as a first-time mother this year!

10) That first all-gum smile is simply the best and most rewarding thing in the world!
9) All babies are different - as hard as it is...you can't compare your baby to any others.
8) Baby poo stains almost instantly....
7) 3 letters: PDF! (for you Babywise/Preparation for Parenting people out there, you know what I'm talking about!!!!) AMAZING! Denver has been sleeping 10-12 hours a night and taking two 1 1/2-2 1/2 hour naps every day since he was a wee little thing. I would recommend ANYONE to read this book!!!!!!!!!! If you are a first-time parent I would say it is a must!
6) Husbands and wives must stand united!!!
5) There's nothing better than the sound of jabbering from the crib after a nap or nights sleep.
4) I've never loved my husband Steven more. He is an amazing father.
3) Date nights are still a must!!!
2) LAUGH! Even when you're clueless and frustrated!
1) Every day is a gift.

I have about a bazillion more, but I will stop there!!!

Well this is definitely my longest post ever!!! Happy 1st Birthday Denver!!! We love you and can't imagine our lives without you!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Denver!!! Great insights on motherhood, Ashleigh... you guys are doing such a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Denver! Ashley you look amazing to have just had a baby! He has grown so much over the past year and I enjoyed reading your blog and seeing pictures of him....tear, I am ready for my baby!

    About the extra entries...leave a separate comment for each thing that you do so you can increase your chances of winning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable header that you have on your blog now!!

    You just copy and paste the HTML code in the scroll box on the right hand side of my blog. Then on your blog, under layout, add a gadget, HTML Code, and paste the code. Then you can rearrange it where you want it. It should work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww what a great post. happy birthday denver! and i absolutely love the new pic!

    ReplyDelete